|"Portrait of Finnish Youth" Walter Hancock|
Many illustrious artists came together in Gloucester, in summer of 1922, to become the driving force behind the formation of the North Shore Arts Association. Cape Ann was beginning to gain national recognition as a major art colony. L.M. Vincent states "the artistic boundaries between Gloucester and Rockport were porous" with many artists holding active memberships at both art associations and also at major institutions in New York, Philadelphia, Boston, and other large cities, a situation which continues even today. In the early years, it wasn't unusual for both North Shore Arts Association and Rockport Art Association to hold joint exhibitions in various venues in the Boston area.*In Search of Motif No.1: The History of a Fish Shack, L.M. Vincent
This post highlights just a few of the major nationally and internationally recognized sculptors who are past artist members, many of whom were among the Founding Members of the NSAA.
|"Girl on a Rock", George M. Aarons|
George Demetrios(1896-1974) emigrated from his native Macedonia to the US in 1911. He studied under Charles Grafly at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts and finished his studies at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris. Returning to Boston, George
|"Gloucester Harbor", George Demetrios|
Walter K. Hancock (1901-1989) Born in St. Louis, Hancock studied with Charles Grafly at the Pennsylvania Academy of Art. Grafly introduced Hancock to Gloucester,
|"Angel of the Resurrection"|
Pennsylvania RR War Memorial by Walter Hancock
|"Joan of Arc" Anna Hyatt Huntington|
|"Persian Gazelle Hound" Amelia Peabody|
|"Baby and Frog" Richard Recchia|
|"Bessie" Katharine Lane Weems|
Ulysses A. Ricci (1888-1960) Born in New York City, Ricci was apprenticed as a young man at the Perth Amboy Terra Cotta Works from 1902-1906. He left to attend the Cooper Union and studied at the Art Students League with James Earle Fraser and George Bridgman. Ricci opened his own studio in 1914, specializing in architectural sculpture. In 1914 Ricci was commissioned to create a series of sculptural decorations for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition, which opened in 1915. Ricci created many sculptural friezes, decorative plaques, and elements for public installations across the country. He was elected as a member of the National Sculpture Society.